Paying sales taxes in CT

I am not a tax professional, but I can provide some general information. It's important to consult with a tax professional or the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services for advice tailored to your specific situation.

  • Department of Revenue Services.
  • 450 Columbus Blvd. Suite 1. Hartford CT 06103.
  • Phone Number: 860-297-5962 

In Connecticut, the sales tax generally applies to the sale of tangible personal property, which includes books. However, there are exemptions for certain nonprofit organizations and charitable activities. If your business involves selling books in Connecticut, but you donate all the revenue to a qualifying nonprofit or for a charitable purpose, you may be eligible for an exemption.

Nonprofit organizations that qualify for federal tax-exempt status under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code are generally exempt from Connecticut sales tax. If your business is structured as a nonprofit and meets these criteria, you may be able to avoid paying state sales tax.

It's crucial to ensure that you comply with all relevant state and federal regulations. Consulting with a tax professional or contacting the Connecticut Department of Revenue Services can help you navigate the specific requirements and exemptions applicable to your situation.

Older Post Newer Post

Leave a comment